If you’re in a place where tomatoes are still in their prime, this is a quick, easy, and tasty appetizer or side dish.
- 2 cups (or so) of assorted tomatoes, sliced/halved/quartered into bite-size pieces
- 8 (or so) slices of crusty bread (such as baguette, ciabatta, etc.)
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup (or so) chopped basil
- Heat the gas or charcoal grill (if you heat a charcoal grill just for this, I really need to you take some of your extra time and use it for something else, like baking me cookies)
- Pile the tomatoes on top of a piece of tin foil. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt, then close up the foil into a loose sort of packet.
- Place the packet on the grill for about 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the slices of bread (or grill them, I suppose). Cut open the cloves of garlic, and rub the bread with the exposed face of the clove.
- When the tomatoes are ready, pile them on top and sprinkle with basil and salt as desired.