The man who caused a ruckus at an eatery in Lau Pa Sat earlier this year over a rainbow flag has been given a police warning.
Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said through a parliamentary statement yesterday that police did not recommend prosecuting the 47-year-old man since there were no injuries involved in the incident. The two-year conditional warning meant that the man may not be allowed to commit an offense of intentionally causing harassment, alarm or distress, for 24 months.
“The Government’s position is clear – harassment and abuse of any person for any reason is not condoned. The law protects LGBTQ individuals the same as everyone else,” Shanmugam said. The unnamed man also had a history of mental disorder, he added.
The minister was replying to a question by non-constituency member of parliament Leong Mun Wai on updates about the Jan. 18 incident at the SMOL salad bar in the central business district.
The man was filmed in surveillance footage confronting the staff about the rainbow flag that was displayed at the cash register before shouting and throwing the flag over the counter, traumatizing one of the employees.
The police found the man within days of the incident, which sparked a public uproar. Many later turned up at the Smol store to show support.
Other stories you should check out:
Singaporean man triggered by small colorful flag hurls ‘homophobic abuse’ (Video)
‘Traumatized’ Smol staffer harassed over pride flag ‘so happy’ for public support
Police ID man who threw the rainbow flag at food stall: Smol owner
Subscribe to The Coconuts Podcast for top trending news and pop culture from Southeast Asia and Hong Kong every Friday!